HERE'S THE DEAL: We are designers. We thrive on feedback. We're taught that "criticism is the culture of design," and that criticism is how we improve ourselves. The purpose of this blog is for people to post their work and receive feedback and to share ideas. Please be constructive. And don't be greedy-if you want to hear from others, remember to let them hear from you too!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

and so it begins...


So here's the deal, these logos may scream amateur, I am an amateur. I take no offense admitting it. This is one of my first projects, I am not exactly sure how I feel about any of these. I am designing a logo for my friend's business. He is starting a booting business, and wanted his logo to have a retro feeling. I'd love some advice on any of them, all of them. Be harsh. (It's the only way to learn, if we are brutally honest) So go ahead, say what you are thinking. Thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely like what is going on with the colors in the 4th one (2nd from bottom)-I think the other designs could use more color, like that one. You could also search on the adobe kuler website for retro colors and get lots of other options.

    You've got the right idea with the shapes of the 1st one (top left) and the 3rd one (right under the first one)... they both have a nice closed gestalt. The rectangle shape of the 4th one isn't very exciting and looks more like a business card--which could be a great solution if you later design their business system.

    The typeface in the 3rd and 4th designs is too generic, plus I don't think it has a retro enough feel to it. You may want something pretty simple, like the san serif in the other designs. But in the case of the 1st design, I think the text should draw a little more attention to itself. You may consider playing around with a typeface that has a tread-feel, like the texture in the 2nd design.

    The skewed rectangle of the 2nd design is interesting and gives the retro feel, but I don't think it's working with the tread behind it. Maybe try incorporating the tread into the rectangle or typeface a little more-?

    I like the bottom one, but it's a little too "open" as far as gestalt goes. I would try the N and G lowercase instead, but put some more color in the letter tiles and see what that does.

    Having said all that... I should probably admit something - I don't know what a "booting company" exactly is; do they sell boots?... is it something to do with cars (tire tread from 2nd design)?... I imagine it might be something to do with boarding/skiing?... but none of the designs really tell me what type of business a booting company is... if there was some unique thing about the business you could pull into the designs I think that could really help. You could try going onto logolounge.com and searching for that type of business to get ideas of what you could do.

    I think you're off to a very nice start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Thank you so much for your response. It was greatly appreciated. The points you made were very valid. This does have something to do with cars. They are the guys that will be ticketing, & removing the boots off of your car. But the wording might need to be adjusted to make it more obvious, and clear.

    Thank you on the specific advice with each of the logos. It's exciting to get other peoples inputs instead of only my own.

    Thank you so much. Look forward to seeing more work on here.

    ReplyDelete