HERE'S THE DEAL: We are designers. We thrive on feedback. We're taught that "criticism is the culture of design," and that criticism is how we improve ourselves. The purpose of this blog is for people to post their work and receive feedback and to share ideas. Please be constructive. And don't be greedy-if you want to hear from others, remember to let them hear from you too!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Here We Go

I guess, I'm the one that really needs suggestions here, so I'll be the first to post something.

In Branding, we're working on a letterform mark design assignment and focusing on figure/ground. Many of you have the same assignment as well. Some of the main things are that we need to try and have closed gestalt, be effective in reduction, effective in color as well as b/w, have strong visual weight and positive direction. The letterforms we are working with are our first and last initial. For me, a "J" and "W." Which, I feel, are terrible for things like this, but maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Here's where I am, but basically, I'm having a hard time with closed gestalt and well, figuring out a way to make my initials work together for a decent figure/ground relationship. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I like the last one the best... I wonder if you could combing the J & W to morph into each other...
    Also I think you could try something really cool with "wilkins" because you have the two "i's"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I struggled a bit with it, but am pretty stoked on the final product and will post it soon. You're the first to give feedback-way to be rad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeremy, maybe don't get too hung up on combining or over lapping the letters. Since the 'J' is asymmetrical and W is symmetrical try forcing one to be like the other. By that I mean try making the J more symmetrical or make the W asymmetrical.

    Or what about just a wavy line. Or something like the second to last drawing but instead of overlapping they just barely touch creating a little tension and the dot on the j is pushed over a little so it over the w something.

    The only problem with the last one is it read as wj.

    ReplyDelete